Friday, October 18, 2013

Give yourself some credit


I've been reading this amazing book called Simple Abundance which has changed my life.  It's a daybook which has separate entries for each day of the year geared towards teaching you how to be authentically you.  I like to slowly digest and practice what I read so its "lesson-a-day" set up works great.  I came across an entry which discusses giving yourself more credit.

Too often we allow ourselves to devalue what we've accomplished in our lives.  Sometimes the desire to have approval from parents and the lack of approval we give ourselves causes us to look to the outside world for that approval.  Is my idea of the perfect life something I truly want? Or is it what I should want?  I can admit that certain parts of my life originate from the need of worldly approval where it's lacking from my parents.  But what a beautiful thing because knowing this distinction can help me unearth who I really am and what motivates me.

I for one am EXTREMELY difficult on myself and feel like I fail all the time.  For so long I equated climbing the corporate latter a success and the pressure I put on myself made me miserable.  Taking a step back, I realized this hunger for business success was from feeling like I had something to prove.  For some reason making tons of money and being able to play with the big boys held my idea of success.  This year that's changed because I wasn't happy with those kinds of thoughts.  I hunger for something greater than that...something that felt more authentic to who I am.

I'm learning to accept and celebrate my life as it is right now.  I'm figuring out what will make me happy without pressure from friends/ family and the expectations the world puts on me.  I graduated college, moved to Los Angeles when I was 18, and successfully chased my dream to work in the music industry.  Now I want to make sure I steer myself in a direction that really speaks to my soul.  The beautiful thing is my accomplishments in this life will continue to be added upon.  My life is uniquely mine and just because it doesn't happen more traditionally than it "should" doesn't mean it's not as fulfilling or right.  I've been taking time this year to discover who I am and there's so many things inside of me that have developed, changed, and improved which is success.   I joined a church which has changed the path of my future.  My spiritual foundation feels more solid and I am eternally grateful.  I have an amazing group of people around me who genuinely care for me which is success.  It's time to give more credit to myself and remember the amazing effect faith can have in my life.

What's the best way to be reminded of what it is we've accomplished? Hang up reminders of course!  I'm going to hang my college degree, print pictures of my loved ones, and display mementos from some of my favorite memories in the music business.  Surrounding yourself with evidence of what you've done is the best way to lift your spirits as you prepare for changes.

I dare you to take inventory of your seemingly small and obviously big accomplishments and proudly display it in your home.  Don't be afraid to admire and appreciate how your life has been so far.  Make plans as to how your life will continue to be amazing and uniquely YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment